1/14/2017

8 TRIED AND TESTED WAYS TO GET RID OF HAT HAIR


Now, I'm no hair stylist, but I AM very particular about my hair.  I'm fussy about what type of products I use (I like to use a shampoo with as few chemicals in it as possible and I always avoid sulfates and Parabins), I'll let it dry naturally whenever I can (admitadly this is harder in the winter months) and while I do use tongs to add extra curl to my naturally, slightly wavy hair, I do so as minimally as possible.

I'm not high maintenance when it comes to my hair (I can't remember the last time I spent ages straightening it), I like it to look as natural as possible and have learned to embrace it's messy tendencies.  But if left to it's own devices it'll look flat, will be neither wavy nor straight, and is always a little fluffy...This is also how my hair can look after I've been wearing hats.  Add to that the tell tale 'I've been wearing a hat' ring that circles my head and I have a head of pretty bad hat hair (bit of a tongue twister that!). However, I've lived through a couple of Pittsburgh winters and as such have developed a few tried and tested ways to get rid of this dreaded hair style, and because I'm nice, I'm sharing them with you!



PREPARATION IS KEY


I think the most important thing to do is to look after your hair and keep it as nourished and conditioned as you can.  Wearing hats can actually damage your hair and make it weaker - sometimes even breaking it - so it’s important to make sure your hair is healthy and conditioned to begin with.

My routine in the winter is to use a leave in conditioner that I make by adding a little a little conditioner to a spritz bottle filled with water (some people add a little extra virgin olive oil too, but I never have and it seems to works great).  I also use a deep conditioning treatment to help restore my hair if it's looking particularly parched.

Some people swear by coconut oil but I've not had any success, it just leaves my hair looking greasy.


8 WAYS TO PREVENT HAT HAIR

Don't you just hate stepping out of the cold and into a warm restaurant or bar, taking your hat off and revealing a flat mess of hair.  Well it doesn't' have to be that way! These 8 tips will have your hair going from hat hair to hot hair!

  1. A loose beanie is less likely to leave it's mark than a tight one.  If you're worried about it staying put just use a couple of bobby pins to keep it in place.
  2. Fleece lined hats have a tendency to make hair static so avoid these if you can.
  3. Hats can flatten wavy hair (curly hair, less so) so consider straightening your hair. 
  4. Part your hair on the opposite side to normal before putting the hat on, then reverse it when you take the hat off to add a little volume at the roots.
  5. If you fancy loose waves for a night out but it’s freezing out and you're worried a hat might flatten them, try loosely twisting your hair into four mini buns and pining them in place under a beanie.   I've tried this and it works well…but then my hair naturally has a slight wave and has always been good at holding a curl so I can't guarantee that this will yield similar results if you have poker straight hair. 
  6. Lightly massage the roots of your hair with your fingers after taking your hat off, to regain a little volume.
  7. If you're hair has a tendency to look a little flat and greasy after wearing a beanie, carry a mini can of dry shampoo in your handbag and lightly spray and massage it in to roots of your hair.  If it leaves a horrid white residue in your hair (and it often will) just pop your hair under the hand dryer (or hair dryer if you're at home) and it'll vanish in seconds.
  8. Sometimes flipping your hair upside down and blasting it under a hand dryer for a few seconds, will rejuvenate your hairstyle

Of course, if you don’t mind styling your hair a little more, there are some pretty styles that work well with and after wearing a hat.  These are some of my favorites:

































Do you have any tips and tricks for avoiding hat hair?  Join the conversation and comment below!
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. I am a massive fan of Percy & Reed's Wonder Balm, it keeps my hair looking swish even if I have been wearing a hat and hood!


    Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just Googled this balm...it looks incredible! My hair needs this!! Thanks so much for sharing :) xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig