3/17/2016

ASK NIKI // WHAT TO WEAR WITH CULOTTES AND WIDE LEG TROUSERS


Culottes and wide leg trousers are everywhere here and it would be good to have some tips on what shoes and tops to wear with them.  I love them because I am sick of skinny trousers!
- Rosie, UK.

First of all thanks for reaching out, Rosie, these might just be my favorite posts to write!  You’re right, culottes and wide leg trousers are everywhere at the moment and you’re not alone in struggling to know what to wear with them.  It’s especially hard for those of us who have been living in skinny jeans and trousers for the past few years, but it's definitely worth branching out and introducing some of these wide styles into your collection.  They're super versatile, are flattering on most of us, and are a great option for summer if you’re not a skirt or dress person.  I added a pair of wide leg pants to my collection last year (head over here to see how I styled them) and I will definitely be looking to add a pair of culottes to my summer wardrobe this year.

Below are four different styles of wide leg trousers and culottes that I have styled with a variety of tops and shoes, suitable for every day, work and nights out.  And below that are a few pointers for finding your perfect pair.  I hope it helps!


CASUAL
http://www.polyvore.com/what_to_wear_with_wide/set?id=193681301
TO WORK
http://www.polyvore.com/what_to_wear_with_wide/set?id=193681432
NIGHT OUT
http://www.polyvore.com/wide_leg_trousers_culottes/set?id=193681154
When you’re looking for your perfect pair, it's worth taking the following into account:
  1. If you're looking at shorter styles, choose a pair that end at a narrower part of your leg.  I generally find a mid-calf length to be the most unflattering, whereas lengths that end just below the knee, or that are ankle length are much more complimentary.
  2. Cropped wide leg pants can shorten the leg considerably so you may want to wear a heel to lengthen your leg.  There are some fantastic platforms and clogs around this year!
  3. Following on from the last point, a nude heel will lengthen the leg beautifully so would be a great choice if you really want to lengthen your legs.
  4. Pants with pleats at the front can look gorgeous, however, they can also be pretty unkind to the tummy.  So if you feel self-conscious about your middle then it might be worth choosing a pair with a flat front.
  5. When choosing full length wide leg pants make sure the length is nice and long, one of my pet hates is trousers that are too short.  I hate how they swing uncomfortably above the shoes, it's quite unflattering.
  6. A high wasted pair will do a fine job of highlighting and enhancing great waist.
Good luck Rosie, I'd love to know how you get on so keep in touch!  And if anyone else has any tips for Rosie, then comment below!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig