9/28/2016

3 WAYS TO WEAR // A SUMMER DRESS, IN FALL

I know, I know, there are lots of people sharing their thoughts on taking summer clothes into fall, but that's because transitioning your closet from summer to autumn is pretty bloody tricky thanks to the indecisive weather that's cold one minute and warm the next.  And if that's enough, many of us just aren't ready to embrace the cooler weather...you can declare your undying love for Pumpkin Spiced Lattes, cozy sweaters and blanket scarves, till the cows come home, but I'm willing to bet that many of you reading this aren't ready to say goodbye to the warm temperatures and summer clothes just yet.

Well what if I I was to tell you don't have to, not yet at least?  With some simple layering, good boots, and the right accessories you can easily get another month or so out of your summer dresses and I have 3 different outfits to prove it, as well as a few tips on getting it just right.

Dress - Warehouse // Shoes - Nordstrom Rack // Watch - JORD Wooden Watches / Sunglasses - Target

Dress- Warehouse // Jacket - Topshop (similar here) // Belt - handmade // Boots - Steve Madden / Watch - JORD Wooden Watches

A neat fitting leather jacket is the ideal transitional piece.  Throw it over a summer dress and it's instantly fall ready.  When if comes to footwear, if you're shorter like me, then a boot with a heel is the best option with a midi length dress, and boots that are fitted are even better; they do a fantastic job of lengthening the leg. 

Dress - Asos // Shoes - Aldo


Dress - Asos // Belt - Target // Ruffle Blouse - Goodwill (similar here) // Boots - Kendal and Kylie // Ring - Manish Arora

Layering is the best weapon with which to fight the indecisive transitional weather.  There's a fine art to pulling together a layered look that's both flattering and stylish but if you balance loose and fitted silhouettes, avoid hiding your frame entirely, and use accessories to tie the pieces together, you'll be off to a great start.   This outfit is a great example of how important it is to get the accessories right - remove the belt and neck-tie (which is just an inexpensive piece of ribbon purchased from a craft store) and this outfit doesn't look quite right.  Those two simple additions are what tie this whole look together.  I chose pointy boots here as they are a far more flattering choice than a pair of flat ankle boots that would shorten my legs and look a little frumpy.


Dress - Free People // Sandals - Nordstrom Rack

Dress - Free People // Sweater - Urban Outfitters  //  Velvet boots - DSW (similar here)
Short or cropped sweaters are another must for transitional dressing, they're a favorite of mine as they layer over my summer dresses without swamping me and hiding my waist. If you're tall this is less of an issue, but my shape tends to benefit from lengths that cut across my waist rather than my hips and thighs.   I also love that transitional weather brings the opportunity to mix textures that you might not normally wear together.  Light, summery fabrics, chunky knits and lux textures like velvet and leather look fabulous together, so don't wait until winter to break out your favorite winter fabrics!

THE DETAILS








SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig