2/20/2015

HOW TO INJECT SOME VARIETY INTO YOUR CLOSET

Jennifer mentioned in a recent post that her friends are often surprised at the size of her closet and expect her to have more clothes than she actually does.  She’s able to pull together a whole host of different outfits not because she has a ton of clothes, but because she has so much variety.  This really struck a chord with me as it’s what I’ve been teaching my clients for years.

Jen is so right, you don’t need to have a wardrobe that’s bursting at the seams with clothing to create different looks.  The key is having a good variety of versatile pieces.  I’ve learnt that when women say “I have lots of clothes but nothing to wear” that what they actually mean is they have nothing DIFFERENT to wear.  Fill your wardrobe with lots of the same things and you’ll get bored very quickly.

When I’m going through a client’s wardrobe for the first time, we look at everything in there. We empty all the drawers, look in all the boxes hidden under the bed and check out the closets in the spare room.  We look at everything.  It’s a very cathartic process and it always throws up habits that the client hadn't been aware of.

We all have shopping habits; we shop in the same stores, we buy the same colors and we’re drawn to styles and items that are familiar to us.  And actually, knowing what you like and having a shopping style isn’t a problem as keeping a theme can make it easier to mix and match your outfits, it’s not knowing that you have a shopping style that’s the problem.



If you don’t realise that you have a penchant for stripy tops or, ahem, leopard print, then you’re probably going to keep filling your closet with more of the same and won't open up any more options.

I’m fully aware that not everyone is looking to wear something exciting or different every day, and I’m not suggesting that you should either.  But if you’re one of the many women who complains about having nothing to wear, then maybe it’s time to asses your closet.

If you’re in a bit of a style rut, then this weekend I challenge you to assess your wardrobe, uncover your shopping habits and ban yourself from purchasing more of the same.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Looking at my footwear, I *probably* should buy fewer brogues and ankle boots and more heels. A-hem. I do love leopard print too but don't own any stripey tops! ;)

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate disappointing people who are expecting a Kardashian-style closet extravaganza LOL. I would get too overwhelmed with something like that I think! I could cut down on the amount of white blouses that somehow keep taking over a portion of my closet though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I need to up date my wardrobe with a few key pieces next week, will definitely try to remember this when I get some bits x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always on the hunt for the perfect leopard flats, I think I have gone through at least 4 pairs my latest ones meeting their end in the Stockholm airport!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig