2/16/2016

THREE WAYS TO WEAR // DENIM SHIRT


I bet that most of you reading this post have at least one denim shirt in your closet, in some shape or form. They’re one of those items that never really go out of style and they slot seamlessly into most wardrobes. They come in a slew of different styles and range of different shades - there is most definitely a shirt out there for each and every style and shape.

The denim shirt I own is this very neat, fitted style that hugs my frame and doesn’t hide my waist too much (as a pear shape, clothes that hug my waist are the most flattering). It’s quite rare for me to wear a buttoned up shirt as I tend to feel a little trussed up, however, this shirt has a good amount of stretch in the fabric allowing for movement.

Like all of the items featured in this series, this shirt is ridiculously versatile and when the temperatures in Pittsburgh dropped dramatically last week, it became the star item in my collection, fitting perfectly between layers and creating a soft barrier between my skin and scratchy, but warm, wool.

Photo credit - Tori
Denim shirt - H&M // Sweater - Whistles // Scarf - Zara // Faux leather pants - Zara // Boots - Ted and Muffy
 The classic combination of a shirt and sweater will never go out of style.  It's warm and comfortable and the collar and cuffs add a little detail to this otherwise plain piece of knitwear.  If you find the sleeves move around and bunch up with wear, just turn the cuff up and over the sleeve of the sweater to keep it in place.  By the way, if you struggle to find long boots that stay up, I HIGHLY recommend heading over to Ted and Muffy - they're a British brand that are over here in the USA, too, that sell boots by the calf width to ensure the perfect fit.  They really are fantastic.

Black fine knit sweater - Warehouse // Denim shirt - H&M // Leather jacket - Topshop // Faux fur coat - Topshop // Boots - Aldo
Some people can rock a leather jacket with leather pants...but not many, and I certainly can't!  Layering the denim shirt under the leather jacket, and the faux fur coat on top breaks up the leather perfectly and adds a much needed extra layer to fight the biting winds.  Denim, leather and leopard is quite possibly one of the best combinations!

Photo credit - Tori
Denim shirt - H&M // Jeans - Paige // Duster - Zara // Boots - DSW // Ring - India // Necklaces - India, Accessorize and Jane Kenny

I'll admit, doubling up on denim isn't something I do very often.  I've admired it from afar (I'm looking at you, Jessa and Jennifer! ) but I can't have worn it myself more than a handful of times.  This outfit took a little trial and error but I'm pretty happy with the final look.  I found that wearing a lighter, brighter shade on my smaller top half, and a darker hue on the bottom half flattered my figure the most.  I tried wearing a paler shade of jeans with the shirt but it felt too matchy matchy for me.  I turned up the hem of my jeans to tie the two denims together, and added the sleeveless duster to soften the look.  

THE DETAILS

Photo credit - Tori

Photo credit - Tori

Photo credit - Tori
What's your favorite way to wear a denim shirt? Would you double up on denim?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig