8/29/2014

TRAVEL // JAIPUR, INDIA

I’ve been really missing India recently. It’s slowly dawned on me that this is it, we’re in Pittsburgh for the next two years at least and it’s time to start settling down and making Pittsburgh our home.

Until now I don’t think I’d allowed myself to think too much about India, but yesterday I started to edit some of the photos I took in our last few months there, and I was catapulted straight back into to the heat, noise and smells of India. Oh how I miss it!!

Our last couple of months in India were pretty hectic, they were filled with travel, hosting friends and getting everything sorted to leaving India and move to the US.   One of the places we'd been meaning to visit but didn't round to doing until our last couple of months, was Jaipur.  It was one of the cities we visited when we back-packed round India in 2002 and we loved it there, so were keen to go back and see how the pink city had changed.

To our relief it hadn’t changed too dramatically, not like a lot of Indian cites that have been going through a crazy building frenzy – pulling down the old and building new (and often ugly) apartment complexes and business units.  For the most part, the pink city remained old, and pink. 



The city was painted pink (the color of hospitality) to welcome The Prince of Wales and Queen Victoria to the city in 1876.  The buildings have remained pink ever since.

Amur Fort

Beautiful hand-painted patterns in the Amur Fort

Amur Fort

One of the ribbon stalls in the Johri Bazaar

Inside the Hawa Mahal

Gaitor Monuments, just outside Jaipur. A great place to watch the sun set!
WHERE WE STAYED

Lemon Tree Premier - The hotel wasn’t anything exciting, we’d left it a little too late to book anything else, but, it was modern, clean and had a pool which was very welcome at the end of a hot sticky day exploring the streets of Jaipur. 

FAVOURTIE PLACES TO EAT AND DRINK

The Peacock Rooftop Restaurant
Khansama Non Veg Take Away And Dining (they don’t’ seem to have a website, but it’s situated right across the road from the Lemon Tree hotel.

FAVOURITE THINGS TO DO

We only had two and a half days to explore Jaipur but to be honest that was enough to see all the big sights. 
Amber Fort,
Jantar Mantar
Hawa Mahal.
Johri Bazaar
Gaitor Monuments

WHAT I WORE

We were in Jaipur during it’s hottest season so loose light clothing was a must.  When we first moved to India I struggled to put outfits together that covered my shoulders and knees but that also kept me cool. I learned pretty quickly that midi and maxi skirts would be my new wardrobe staples. 

Top - ZARA / Skirt - vintage / Bag - Hampi / Sandals - Pavers England
Have you been to Jaipur? What were your favorite things to do?
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. The vintage skirt is lovely and the photos look lovely with the ornate arch way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful skirt! I guess it's completely different but Pittsburgh sounds like fun - think of all the sale bargains you'll be able to nab. ;)


    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yep, was pretty easy to find great spots to photograph outfits in India!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Camilla :) Getting used to my new life in the US...although the weather is taking some getting used to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's totally different, and I miss India like crazy but at the same time i know how good a change can be :) x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig