10/23/2014

TRAVEL // NEW YORK


Al and I had a long weekend in New York a couple of weeks ago! We’ve both been before, but separately and it was a long time ago. I'd always wanted to return to New York, so was super excited when we booked our tickets!

The drive from Pittsburgh to New York is about 6 hours, so not bad really, but parking there would be a nightmare. Flights are quick, but ridiculously expensive; so we decided to go by train. It was a 9 hour (yes, I said 9 hour) journey but we were rewarded with beautiful views and spare pennies to spend once we got there.

We stayed in a cute Airbnb apartment with stunning views of Manhattan and pretty much ate, drank and window shopped our way around New York.   We’d both done the famous sights in our previous visit, so decided to take things a little easier and just wander around exploring the different areas by foot.








FAVOURITE PLACES TO EAT AND DRINK

Skylight Dinner for a real American breakfast
Union Square Café for the best burger
Cook shop near highline
Fonda for the BEST Mexican food!
Chelsea Market for snacks

FAVOURITE SHOPS


Beacons Closet, for some serious thrifting.
Pixie Market Shop, for statement pieces at great prices
Shoe Market NYC
Williamsburgh Flea
Discover Your Will, for unique leather accessories
Grit n Glory for awesome rock t's
Mood, for the biggest and best selection of fabric I’ve ever seen!

FAVOURITE THINGS TO DO

See Manhattan from the Top of The Rock
Take in the splendour of Grand Central Station
Walk the High Line
Wander round Union Square market
Spend an afternoon in the Metropolitan Museum
Spend the day walking round Brooklyn
Rummaging through Williamsburg outdoor Flea Market

WHAT I WORE

The weather in NY was pretty autumnal – it was beautifully sunny but there was a real nip in the air when we were out of the sun, so I had to think carefully about what to pack so I had enough layers for when it cooled off.  Traveling by train also meant I had to pack light.  I packed the following for the trips, and if you head over here you can see what how I mixed and matched it all and get a few of my tips on packing for a city break.


Packing for New York
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig