4/05/2016

1 ITEM 3 WAYS // STRIPED, SPOTTY TOP

I know the bigger cities in the US, like Chicago, New York and San Fran have pretty good access to international brands, but here in Pittsburgh they’re few and far between and I’ll be honest, I miss them. Especially the British brands!  I miss them more than I thought I would and never expected to find myself pinning after British retailers.  It's not often, just when there's a particular item I'm struggling to source, or or when I'm working on a look-book for a UK client.

I have found some great US retailers while I've been over here, but despite that most of the pieces in my closet are either British or European and as a Brit in America, I feel a sense of pride when I’m wearing something from the UK.  We went for a walk in Schlenly Park on Sunday and I was head to toe British in Barbour, Topshop and Hunters.  It felt ever so good to be championing Brit brands but it also made me a little home sick, how silly is that!?  I wrote a post a while back celebrating Brit style and I'm at it again this week with a three ways to wear bursting with British style. The striped, spotty top* I'm featuring is from quintessential British brand Joules (who have just arrived in the US!) and the majority of the other pieces in the three outfits, are also from home! 

Top, gifted by Joules / Pants - Oasis / Jacket - Warehouse / Shoes - Modern Vintage
Stripes look good in every wardrobe and I completely disagree with anyone who thinks they can't wear stripes because they think they're unflattering.  Nonsence.  They're just not looking at the right styles.  This striped top is the perfect shape for me (slash necklines are great at broadening my narrow shoulders) and the stripes are just the right weight- not to thick that they wear me, and not to narrow that the top looks grey and washes me out.  This top is fairly casual but by tucking it into high-waist pants and throwing a tailored jacket over it, Ive transformed it into something far smarter.

Top gifted by Joules / Leather jacket - Topshop / Jeans - Levis / Shoes - Cath Kidston / Bag - Zatchels / Sunglasses - Target
Stripes and florals are a match made in heaven and accessories are a great way to dabble in a spot of print mixing if you're not ready to jump into a full-on print clashing outfit.

Top, gifted by Joules / Jumpsuit - French Connection / Shoes - Aldo / Bangles Indian.


This jumpsuit has been in my closet for over 7 years now and it's quite a dressy style that I really only wear in the evening, but by tightening and rolling the hem (a little styling trick I picked up from Leslie when we did this photoshoot) and layering the striped top underneath, it totally works for the day!  I LOVE it when I can breath new life into old clothes!



*I am occasionally offered an opportunity to work with brands to promote their items. However, this in no way reduces my independence or dedication to providing honest, impartial advice and I ONLY work with or accept brands and their items that I ,myself, would purchase or that I would recommend to my clients.  In a bid to be open and honest with my readers, those rare items that I feature that are through such an arrangement are marked with a star *
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig