4/02/2016

WEEKEND STYLE GUIDE // BRIDAL REVIVAL

On Friday 8th, Glitter and Grit bridal shop in Pittsburgh is holding a Bridal Revival event, which is basically an excuse to party in your wedding dress, or bridesmaid dress again!

There's going to be a re-style contest that Tori, Ashley, Kim and I are judging (don't panic, there will be a few bit and bobs available to help you create your masterpiece!), local make-up artists will be offering complimentary hair and makeup touch-ups and The Farmer's Daughter Flowers will have a floral photo-booth there so you can shoot and share the fun!  As well as that, Green Sinner is holding a bouquet toss contest...as in who can throw the bouquet the furthest (!!) and you can even try your hand at creating wearable floral arrangements with help from Mount Lebanon Floral!  It's going to be SO much fun, I can't wait!

Sadly, I won't be able to wear my wedding dress to the event, it's hanging in my closet at home in England where it's been left untouched for the past 8 years.  My wedding dress was separates that was made by a fabulous dressmaker in Bristol, Bertoldi, and I distinctly remember chatting to her about how I was planning on wearing the top again, but you I still haven't.


And even though I've been pretty lucky as a bridesmaid (I've never had to wear a dress I didn't like) I've never re-worn any of those either.  Although I'm going to apportion a little of the blame to the fact that the weddings were all in the UK and I struggled to fit them in my suitcase when I flew back to the US.  Oh how I wish I could have squeezed this skirt that I wore to my sisters wedding into my suitcase!



The Bridal Revival has made me question how realistic it is to think that we'll ever re-wear a wedding dress or bridesmaid dress for that matter.  I mean I can't be the only women who flirted with the idea of re-wearing her wedding dress or the row of bridesmaid dresses that have accumulated in the closet?   Well, you all know how much I hate to keep things for best so thought I'd see if I could come up with a few viable options to re-work those special dresses:

WEDDING DRESS
  1. Have it dyed
  2. Make like Aire and take your dress to a dress maker to have it altered - you can add straps, shorten it, chop it in two and walk away with a top and a skirt...the possibilities are endless!
  3. If your dress is a princess style then this next option is unlikely to work, but if your dress is short or is an elegant slinky number then why not wear it to your next cocktail party, just change up the accessories a la Liberty Ross and Keira Knightly


BRIDESMAID DRESS
  1. Have fun with accessories - different shoes, black tights/coloured/patterned tights, belts, costume jewellery, hats etc...
  2. Throw a casual jacket over it, my favourite is a leather jacket.
  3. Have it altered
  4. Dye it
  5. Layer your favorite t-shirt over it and tie it in a knot at the waist if it needs shape
Have you re-worn your dresses?  any tips for us on how to re-work them? 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig