1/20/2014

What I Wore // Markets in Shivajinagar, Bangalore

We’ve been in Bangalore for almost two years now and we’re so used to living here that we sometimes forget how amazing our surroundings are.  I’ve mentioned before how I love seeing India for the first time again through visitor’s eyes  - they point out all the things that I don’t notice so much anymore, the things that  blew me away when we first arrived that are just part of our everyday life now.   

At the beginning of the year we started a photo-a-day challenge with a group of friends on Flickr, and it’s resulted in impromptu photography sessions at the weekend that force us to go out and explore Bangalore again.

Last Saturday we headed to Shivajinaga, (I’ve mentioned this part of Bangalore on the blog before) a bustling part of the city home to a mosque, a church numerous temples and hundreds of tiny shops.  You can pretty much find anything you need there; I spotted this awesome little art shop and was like a kid in a candy store!







Another street we walked down was ‘jewellery making street’ which (yes, you‘ve guessed it) is lined with tiny jewellery workshops, squeezed into a space not much bigger than a wardrobe, producing the most exquisite, intricate designs.  These guys were super friendly and didn’t mind me watching for a bit.  You see that small pile of coal in the forefront of the picture, well that’s the little furnace that he was using to melt the gold in.  Every so often he would blow it with a pipe to keep the embers glowing, it was amazing to watch!


It was a pretty productive day; we managed to stock up on a few household essentials, got some great photos and remembered why we love it here :)

What did you get up to at the weekend? Whatever you did, I hope you had a good one.
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. We used to unoffically try to get the best oics when i was in BLR...it all got a bit too competitive ! love it Niki and i want all those bags you were looking at !!! And love the paint colours... i am hooked on hot / flouro colours at the mo. x great post x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are breathtaking. I can only imagine how being surrounded by such beauty must come into strange conflict with that human need to acclimate -- for gorgeousness to become routine. Sounds like a delightful kind of challenge. :)

    http://dresseduplikealady.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cammila,thank you!! My hubby took most of them :) Yep, not a
    bad challenge...feel very privileged to be living here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! It's all teh hand painted trucks I see they make me want to paint everything fluro. The bags were a bargain £1.50 each...I couldn't resist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh - it all seems incredible! Someday I'll hopefully make it to India....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is! You have to visit India...I can't believe you've never been!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig