8/17/2016

3 WAYS TO WEAR // OFF-THE-SHOULDER TOP

It's that time of year again when the transitional collections fill the stores, fashion magazines are raving about the biggest trends for the coming season and, despite most of us still basking in summer weather, my Instagram feed is full of people already wearing next seasons trends.  It's sad how quick some people are to wish the season away and it can be a little overwhelming, too.  I've had clients open up to me about feeling a little panicked in the run up to a new season - just when they think they've finally nailed their style and have adapted the trends to suit, they're faced with the daunting prospect of starting all over again.

To those of you who relate to them, I say, take a step back.  There's no need (and the weather doesn't permit it either) to jump from one season to the next.  Take your time.  Keep a record of the fall looks and pieces you like (I tend to use Pinterest and Evernote, although more recently I've been going old school and have started pulling from magazines), and don't rush into buying lots of new purchases.  The weather's still glorious, so make the most of wearing your favorite summer pieces and gradually work up to transitioning to fall.  I'll be documenting my transition on the blog, so stay tuned, keep calm.

And with that; here is a very summery three ways to wear.  The off-the-shoulder top was a MASSIVE trend this season.  I'd even go as far as saying it was the biggest trend of the season and if I'm honest,  I got a little sick of it.  I blame Instagram.  I can't tell you how many off-the-shoulder looks I scrolled past, I overdosed!   I had to step away, hang the top at the back of my closet and wait until I felt a little better.  Well I couldn't stay away for long... 
Top - Warehouse / Jeans - Levis / Shoes - Topshop
 This is the easy breezy way to wear this style of top.  Team with skinnies (wide leg trousers don't work - trust me I tried.  I looked like a lampshade) and your favorite shoes. Done.  If you're small up top, like me, then you can get away going bra-less (shock and horror) if not, you're going to need to find yourself a great strapless bra, otherwise the tight elastic designed to keep the top in place will push down on your bust which is never flattering.

Top - Warehouse / Jumpsuit - French Connection / Shoes - Modern Vintage
I had fun playing around with this style of top and was surprised at how well it layered.  I'm wearing it under my jumpsuit here, but it also looks great under a dress or vest.  Check out The Style Magazines Wardrobe Mistress, Pandora Sykes, for some seriously good layering inspo.


Top - Warehouse / Bralette - Aerie / Jeans - Levis / Kicks - Sam Edelman
 A friend of mine put me onto Aerie's bralettes and I've been kinda obsessed ever since.  This one is a racer back style that I've been wearing constantly under strapless tops.  If you don't have one, just throw a vest underneath instead - in fact, if you don't have a good strapless bra then a vest is a great way to hide your bra straps.  And if the weather's started to cool down a little where you are, then layering a vest underneath is a brilliant way to get a few extra miles out of your off the shoulder top!

THE DETAILS:






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you so please share your thoughts! I always try to reply, so make sure you pop back, or subscribe! Niki x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig